This lightened version of the Italian favorite provides 371 calories and 17g of carbs per serving. If you choose to eat it with additional carbs, choose whole-grain varieties like whole wheat, brown rice, sorghum, farro, or freekeh.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 371; total fat: 8.5g; saturated fat: 1.3g; protein: 54g; carbohydrates: 17g; sugar: 7g; fiber: 4g; cholesterol: 122mg; sodium: 404mg
Recipe and photo by Lauren Harris-Pincus, M.S., R.D.N. of Nutrition Starring You, L.L.C.
Makes 6 servings
- 2½-3lbs raw split chicken breast on bone, skin removed
- ¼ cup white whole wheat flour
- Black pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 small green bell peppers, sliced into ¼" strips
- 12 oz white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (25-oz) jar of marinara sauce (preferably low-sodium)
- 1/2 cup red wine
How to make it
Cut chicken breasts into equal pieces, about 7-8oz each (including bone).
Add desired amount of pepper to flour. Dredge chicken in flour, and discard extra.
Heat a large saucepan with lid on medium-high heat, and add olive oil. Sauté chicken for 7 minutes. Turn chicken, and cook additional 7 minutes. On top of chicken, add green peppers, mushrooms, sauce, and wine.
Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for 1 hour or until chicken is thoroughly cooked.