In our October issue we brought you the Lose Like a Man meal plan featuring some of the Weight Watchers meals that helped NBA All-Star Charles Barkley drop 40 pounds. Now we’re back for seconds. This recipe for Chicken-Fried Steak, one of Barkley’s favorites, is surprisingly low in calories and loaded with protein. Best of all, it’s crazy good and on the table in about half an hour.
- 3 oz lean beef round
- 1 tbsp white all-purpose flour
- Table salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- 5 tbsp fat-free skim milk
- ¼ large egg white
- ¼ cup dried, plain bread crumbs, coarse-variety
- ½ slice reduced-fat bacon
- 1 spray cooking spray
- 2 tbsp onion, chopped
- Hot pepper sauce to taste
- Place steak between two sheets of waxed paper and pound to ½-inch thickness.
- Combine flour, salt, and pepper on a plate. Combine egg white and 1 tbsp milk in a shallow bowl. Place bread crumbs on another plate.
- Dip steak in flour mixture and turn to coat both sides. Repeat with milk mixture and then breadcrumbs. Reserve ¼ tbsp flour.
- In a medium nonstick skillet, over medium heat, brown bacon, flipping after about 5 minutes. Remove from skillet and set aside. Add steak to same skillet and place over medium-high heat. Cook about 3 to 4 minutes per side for medium, or longer to desired degree of doneness. Remove steak and set aside.
- Off heat, coat skillet with cooking spray and set over medium heat. When hot, add onion and cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 4 minutes. Add reserved flour and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Pour in remaining milk, scraping up any browned bits with a wooden spoon. Reduce heat to medium-low; add salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Crumble bacon and stir into skillet. Increase heat to medium and cook until gravy is thickened, stirring constantly, about 1 to 3 minutes. Spoon gravy over steak and serve immediately.
Total prep and cook time: 33 minutes