11. Recipe: Mexican Noodle Soup
This flavorful, easy version of chicken soup is made with cilantro, avocado, and lime and can be whipped up in 30 minutes.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
1-2 tablespoons oil
1 onion- diced
4 garlic cloves- rough chopped
1 – 1 1/4 lbs. chicken breast diced into cubes or rotisserie chicken
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon cumin
2 teaspoon chili power
1 teaspoon coriander
1 teaspoon dried Mexican oregano (or a couple bay leaves)
1/8 – 1/4 teaspoons chipotle powder or cayenne, or to taste
1 tomato – diced
1 small can diced green chilies (optional)
4 cups chicken stock
4 cups water
4 ounces dry linguini noodles (or pasta, or gluten-free or rice noodles)
Juice of one lime
Garnish with avocado slices, fresh cilantro, scallions and lime
1. In a large heavy bottom pot or Dutch oven, sauté onion in 1-2 tablespoons olive oil over med-high heat for two minutes.
2. Add chicken and garlic. Sauté 5-6 minutes until it begins to brown, stirring often. If using rotisserie chicken, just warm through for several minutes.
3. Add salt and spices, plus oregano and cook 1 more minute. Add tomato, chilies, stock and water and bring to a rolling boil over high heat.
4. Once boiling, add pasta, resisting the temptation to add more (it will swell). Bring to a boil once more, turn heat to medium, and simmer ten minutes or until pasta is done cooking.
5. Squeeze the lime, taste, adjust salt if necessary.
6. Place in bowls and top with sliced avocado and fresh cilantro and scallions and serve with a wedge of lime.
Recipe and photo by Sylvia Fountaine of Feasting at Home.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top