15. Recipe: Chicken, Broccoli, and Rice Casserole
Using rotisserie helps cut prep time in this casserole made from more traditional ingredients like broccoli, cheddar cheese, and brown rice. The Panko (or Japanese) breadcrumbs add a delicious crunch, and flavor, especially when mixed with a small amount of cheese.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
3 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups 1% (low fat) milk
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon dried thyme
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons reduced fat cheddar cheese divided
Salt and pepper to taste
3 cups diced cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken
3 cups cooked brown rice
2 cups chopped frozen broccoli, thawed
2 tablespoons Panko bread crumbs
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
1. Spray a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
2. Melt butter in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and continue to stir for one minute. Gradually add milk and chicken broth, whisking well. Bring to a simmer and continue to gently stir until thickened. Add thyme, 3/4 cup cheese, salt and pepper. Stir in well until cheese melts. Remove from heat and stir in chicken.
3. Spread rice and broccoli in bottom of casserole dish. Pour chicken mixture over rice and broccoli and stir to combine. Top with bread crumbs, parmesan cheese and remaining cheddar cheese.
4. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until slightly browned on top and heated through. Enjoy!
Recipe and photo by Ann Dunaway Teh and Lesley Baradel founders of My Menu Pal.Back to top