18. Recipe: Chicken Tortilla Soup
Another fun way to use rotisserie, tortilla soup can be made into a light meal. Be careful not to overdue the toppings (especially high calorie ones like avocado and sour cream), or the calories can get way out of control.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 cup corn niblets (I used frozen)
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
Sea salt, to taste
1 (14.5 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes (Muir Glen or Trader Joe’s)
1 1/2 cups chicken broth
1 cup green beans, chopped and trimmed (I used fresh but frozen could work)
1 handful of arugula or baby spinach
1 heaping tablespoon green chilies, canned
1/2 cup finely grated Cheddar cheese for topping
Tortilla strips (I used Fresh Gourmet Tortilla Strips, lightly salted, found in salad section) or can use crunched up tortilla chips, for topping
Cilantro, chopped for garnish, if desired
1. In medium skillet add 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat.
2. Add chicken allow to brown on all sides and cook through, about 5-7 minutes.
3. In another medium skillet or large sauce pan, add the remaining tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
4. Add corn niblets, chili powder, cumin and sea salt. Stirring to sauté and season the corn.
5. Add tomatoes, chicken broth and green beans to corn mixture, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 5 minutes.
6. Add cooked chicken, arugula and green chilies, if using, to the corn mixture and simmer for another 3 minutes.
7. Divide soup into 4 serving bowls. Top with grated Cheddar and handful of tortilla strips. Garnish with avocado and cilantro, if desired.
Recipe and photo by Kate Scarlata, RDN Boston based dietitian and GI nutrition expert.
Back to top