21. Recipe: Layered Chicken Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce and Lime Crema
Tomatillos are used in many Mexican-inspired dishes in sauces, soups, and salsas. They’re related to tomatoes but have a pale green color and slightly sour and tangy flavor. They contain vitamins C, niacin, and potassium. Enjoy them coupled with chicken, cheese, sour cream, and lime juice in these outstanding enchiladas.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Prep: 20 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
2 1/2 lbs tomatillos, unhusked and rinsed, quartered
1 large yellow onion, peeled and cut into 1/8ths
2 tablespoons olive oil
4 cups shredded chicken (about 1 large rotisserie chicken’s worth)
2 garlic cloves
2 cups cilantro leaves, packed
1 dried chile negro, rehydrated and stem and seeds removed
12 corn tortillas
2 cups sharp cheddar or Jack cheese
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon lime juice
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Toss the tomatillos and onion with the olive oil and roast on a baking sheet at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Let cool.
3. Combine the tomatillos and onion, garlic, cilantro, and the chile in a blender and blend until mostly smooth. You should have around 5½ cups. Add enough water to make 6 cups of the mixture (water should be ½-¾ cup at the most). This is your sauce.
4. In a small bowl, mix the sour cream and lime juice and set aside. This is your lime crema.
5. In a large lasagna dish, pour a thin layer of sauce, then layer 6 tortillas on top of the sauce. Add a bit more sauce, then layer all of the chicken on top of that. Layer 1 cup of the cheese, then the sour cream and lime mixture on top of the chicken. Layer another 6 tortillas on top of the sour cream, then spread the rest of the sauce on top of those tortillas and sprinkle with the rest of the cheese.
6. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 30 minutes. Remove and let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Recipe and photo by Abby Langer, RD.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top