22. Recipe: Quinoa Lettuce Wraps
Quinoa and chicken and a killer high protein combination, but if you want to skip the 15 minutes to cook that quinoa, prepare it in advance. A great way to cook quinoa ahead is to follow the directions on the package and use half water and half reduced-sodium chicken broth. Once cooked allow the quinoa to cool then store in 2 cup portions in re-sealable sandwich bags in the freezer for up to 2 months. To defrost, transfer the quinoa to a microwave safe bowl, cover with a damp paper towel and microwave for 1-2 minutes stirring halfway through. Let stand 2 minutes in the microwave before using.
Skill level: Beginner
Serves: 4 (2 wraps per person)
Start to Finish: 30 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 15 minutes
1/2 cup quinoa (or use 2 cups already prepared quinoa)
1 cup water
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
2 cups fresh spinach, coarse chop
1/2 cup green onion, chopped
1 avocado, peeled and cut
3 ounces feta cheese
1/2 teaspoon Jane’s Krazy mixed up salt or Cavender’s Greek Seasoning
8 ounces cooked chicken or shredded rotisserie chicken
1 tablespoon lime juice (juice of 1/2 lime)
8 romaine lettuce leaves (for boats)
1. Prepare the quinoa by placing 1 cup water on stove to boil. When the water is boiling, add quinoa, cover and turn down to simmer for 15 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
2. Cool quinoa in a shallow baking dish in the refrigerator (this is a good time to chop vegetables if they have not already been chopped). Place vegetables in a large bowl.
3. Add chilled quinoa to vegetables and toss. Add crumbled feta, seasoning, and chicken. Squeeze lime juice over the filling and mix.
4. Scoop about 1 cup quinoa mix into romaine lettuce leaves to make lettuce wraps.
Recipe and photo by Kim Beavers, MS, RD, LD, CDE.Back to top