25. Recipe: Rotisserie Chicken and Grits Casserole
The combo of chicken and grits can’t be beat! This lighter version uses low fat milk, reduced fat cream cheese, egg whites, and small portions of butter and cheese so you can get the flavor you love without the artery-clogging fat.
Skill level: Beginner
Serves: 6 (1 cup servings)
Start to Finish: 40 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 25 minutes
2 cups 1% (low-fat) milk
3/4 cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
1 cup uncooked quick-cooking grits
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (2 ounces) finely-grated Cheddar cheese
2 tablespoons butter
3 ounces 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 large egg whites
1 1/2 cups (about 9 ounces) diced rotisserie chicken
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
Sliced green onions, for garnish
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 11-inch by 7-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
2. Combine milk and broth in a medium heavy saucepan; bring to a boil. Gradually add grits and salt to pan, stirring constantly with a whisk.
3. Cook for 5 minutes, or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in Cheddar, butter, and cream cheese until smooth.
4. Stir in egg whites and chicken.
5. Spoon mixture into prepared baking dish.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes, or until set.
7. Just before serving, drizzle with barbecue sauce and garnish with green onions.
Recipe and photo by Blair Lonergan of The Seasoned Mom.Back to top