32. Recipe: Slow Cooker Chicken and Swiss Chard Enchilada Pie
Don’t feel like turning on the oven? No problem! This enchilada pie uses the slow cooker to get the job done.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 3 hours, 15 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 3 hours
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 bunches (6 cups) Swiss chard, sliced
2 1/2 lbs rotisserie chicken meat, shredded (3 lbs whole rotisserie chicken)
1 (4 oz) can green chili
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 bunch green onions, sliced
2 cups frozen corn
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
1 teaspoon ground cumin
2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce
20 corn tortillas
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, Swiss chard, salt (in moderation) and pepper. Cover, and cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the greens are wilted and tender. Remove from heat and set aside.
2. In a large bowl, combine the cooked chard, shredded chicken, chilies, cilantro, green onions, corn, 1½ cups shredded cheddar cheese, cumin, chili and garlic powder. Mix well.
3. Spray a large slow cooker with nonstick spray. Pour enough enchilada sauce on the bottom of the slow cooker to cover it. Place 5 tortillas on top, followed by 1/3 of the chicken mixture, and top with 5 more tortillas and 1⁄4 cup sauce. Repeat, 2 more times, starting with the chicken. Cover the top with remaining enchilada sauce and reserved 1⁄2 cup cheese.
4. Place the slow cooker on low, and cook for a maximum of 3 hours (cooking any longer might burn).Back to top