4. Recipe: Greek Chicken and Orzo Salad
If you need to save even more time, cook the whole wheat orzo in advance and refrigerate until ready to use.
Skill level: Beginner
Serves: 8-10 servings
Start to Finish: 25 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 10 minutes
For the dressing
2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
Salt and pepper to taste
For the salad
1 pound package whole wheat orzo, cooked according to directions and cooled
1 rotisserie chicken or chicken breast, shredded
1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted
1/2 bunch of scallions, chopped
1 large, English cucumber, quartered lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
1 (12 ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into thin slices
1 large bunch basil, sliced thin
2-3 ounces feta cheese, crumbled
1. Mix all ingredients for the dressing in a measuring cup and set aside.
2. Place all salad ingredients except for feta cheese in a large mixing bowl. Toss well to combine.
3. Pour salad dressing over all, stir well, and refrigerate for at least an hour to let flavors blend.
4. Sprinkle feta cheese over just before serving.
5. Keep leftovers tightly covered for up to four days.
Recipe and photo by Anne Danahy MS, RDN of Craving Something Healthy.Back to top