41. Recipe: Chicken Burrito Bowls
These healthy bowls layer brown rice, chicken, black beans, quinoa, and kale and are topped with lip-smacking homemade taco seasoning.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 23 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 8 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
12 ounces shredded rotisserie chicken
2 cups brown rice or quinoa, cooked
1 can (no salt added) black beans, drained and rinsed
1 tomato, diced
1 white onion, diced
3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
1 cup kale, shredded
For the taco seasoning
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat oil over low heat. Place shredded chicken in pan and toss with taco seasoning, keeping warm until ready to assemble burrito bowls.
2. For the rice and beans: Cook brown rice (or quinoa) according to directions on bag and set aside. Drain and rinse canned black beans. Place in glass bowl and microwave 1-2 minutes.
3. For the toppings: Dice the tomato, onion, and cilantro together for a quick pico de gallo, or if short on time you can use salsa or store-bought pico.
4. To assemble: Divide seasoned chicken, kale, rice and bean mixture, and pico de gallo into 4 bowls.
Recipe and photo by Angie Asche MS, RD, LMNT of Eleat Sports Nutrition, LLC.Back to top