5. Recipe: Sorghum, Chicken and Veggie Lettuce
Sorghum is an ancient grain believed to have originated in Africa. One quarter cup of dry sorghum contains 158 calories, 35 grams of carbs, 3 grams of fiber, and 5 grams of protein. It’s also provides 12-percent of the recommended daily amount of iron.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 15 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 0 minutes
1/2 cup cooked whole grain sorghum
2 ounces rotisserie or grilled chicken, diced
1/3 cup grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1/3 cup red, orange, or yellow bell peppers, chopped (3-4 mini peppers)
3 romaine lettuce leaves
For the dressing
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 teaspoons canned pumpkin
1/2 large clove garlic, finely chopped
1. In a bowl, combine sorghum, chicken, peppers and tomatoes.
2. In a second bowl, whisk together dressing ingredients.
3. Add 2 tablespoons dressing to sorghum mixture and gently combine.
4. Distribute sorghum mixture onto 3 lettuce leaves.
5. Drizzle with a little extra dressing if desired.
6. Dressing recipe will make more than is needed for one serving. Cover and refrigerate the extra to use another time.
Recipe and photo by Lauren Harris-Pincus, MS, RDN owner of Nutrition Starring You, LLC.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top