It’s the perfect filling in a lettuce wrap or whole-grain sandwich, or even on its own—this light, yet tasty chicken salad recipe is bound to become your new lunchtime staple. Red bell peppers and scallions add crunch and brightness, while a homemade lemon-balsamic mayonnaise adds serious flavor, without a ton of extra calories.
Nutrition (per serving)
698 calories; 64g fat; 24g protein; 9g carbohydrate; 3g dietary fiber; 6g net carbs.
Makes 2 servings
- 1 cup diced cooked chicken
- ½ cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 artichoke heart, cooked and chopped
- 2 scallions, sliced thin, including the crisp part of the green shoot
- 1 tbsp minced fresh parsley
- ⅓ cup lemon-balsamic mayonnaise (see below), or to taste
- For the mayo:
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 Tbsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 garlic clove (chopped)
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
How to make it
For the chicken salad: Cut everything up and put in a mixing bowl.
Make the mayo (see below), add to the other ingredients, and toss to coat.
For the mayo: Put the egg yolks, vinegar, lemon juice, and chopped garlic in the bottom of a clean glass jar. Add ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil.
Submerge your stick blender, turn it on, and blend till it’s incorporated.
Now, keeping the stick blender on, slowly drizzle in ⅔ cup light-flavored olive oil until the mixture is thickened and the oil starts puddling on the surface. Makes ¾ cup.