The Ultimate Cubano recipe was created by Executive Sous Chef Jose Vera-Caraballo of The Ritz-Carlton, South Beach as homage to the popular sandwich. “Our guests want to taste the flavors that South Florida is known for,” said Chef Vera-Caraballo. “I have added some extravagant and unique flavor touches to take the sandwich to the next level.” The Ultimate Cubano consists of thinly sliced prosciutto, Gruyere truffle cheese, bourbon-marinated pork loin, topped with a crisp house-made pickle, and sandwiched between warm, flakey IPA bread.
- 1 lb pork shoulder
- 4 slices IPA Bastard Bread
- 1 red onion julienne
- 2 jalapeños, sliced
- 1/4 lb gruyere cheese puree
- 1 oz white truffle oil
- 1/3 lb gruyere, sliced
- ¼ cup pickles
- 1 oz yellow mustard
- 1 cup bourbon
- 1/3 cup garlic butter
1. Marinate pork shoulder with salt, pepper, and 3.5 cups of bourbon mix overnight. Put into the smoker for about 10 hours.
2. Once it is finished cooking, cover in plastic and let it cool either overnight or for a few hours, and pull the meat (shredded).
3. In a sauté pan, sweat the onion and jalapeno; add the pulled pork and the remaining bourbon. Cook until the bourbon evaporates.
4. In a separate bowl, combine gruyere cheese puree and truffle oil, mix until a hard spread consistency is achieved.
To assemble the sandwich
Slice the bread in half. From top to bottom:
- gruyere spread
- gruyere slice
- pork mix
- gruyere slice
Brush both sides of the sandwich with garlic butter and press it. To make sure it’s perfect, cheese should be melted and bread golden brown.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top