Boost the fiber in your chicken burger with lentils—and get bonus points for incorporating plant-based protein into your day.
Recipe and photo courtesy of lentils.org.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 6 servings
- 3 Tbsp (45 mL) butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small apple, cored, peel left on, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp (5 mL) curry powder
- 1 tsp (5 mL) fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1⁄3 lb (600 g) ground chicken
- 1 cup (250 mL) cooked or canned green lentils, drained and rinsed
- ½ cup (125 mL) panko bread crumbs
- 1 Tbsp (15 mL) Dijon mustard
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp (5 mL) sea salt
- ½ tsp (2 mL) ground black pepper canola oil, for the grill
- 6 hamburger buns
- Optional garnishes: aged white cheddar slices, bacon, tomato slices, lettuce, pickles, mayonnaise, mustard, ketchup.
How to make it
Heat butter in a large skillet, over medium heat. Sauté onion and apple until soft, about 5 minutes.
Stir in garlic, curry powder, and thyme, cook 2 minutes longer. Remove from heat.
Add ground chicken, lentils, panko, mustard, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl. Stir just to combine. Cover and refrigerate 1 hour.
Shape burgers into 6 patties.
Preheat and brush grill with canola oil. Cook burgers 6-7 minutes per side over medium high heat. Flip once. Cook until no longer pink in middle.
Serve on hamburger bun, and top with condiments as desired.