Let's talk about that most sacred of summer dishes: guacamole. Everyone has their version of the classic — serrano or jalapeño peppers, lemon or lime juice. And when variations are trotted out, it would behoove all involved to seek shelter. Even presidents and presidential candidates weigh in with thoughts on the famous Mexican dip when people suggest bucking tradition.
But here's one undeniable guacamole tip from Jose Acevedo, chef partner of Los Angeles' seafood-focused Mexican restaurant Maradentro: "To make a perfect guacamole, every ingredient needs to be perfectly ripe."
As the avocado should be the star of any guacamole, choosing the perfect specimen is of utmost importance. Acevedo goes for the sweet, creamy texture of Hass avocados and chooses soft (not squishy), dark green fruit. Still uncertain? The stem cap should be easy to dislodge exposing a green, rather than brown, navel.
There will always be a place for classic guacamole at barbecues and on everything, but at Maradentro, Acevedo adds smoke and sea, dressing up a solid guacamole with lobster and thick bacon. Cool marine flavors are perfect for hot summer days, and the saltiness of the bacon plays up the sweetness of the avocado. These ingredients don’t overpower; they add layers.
Acevedo recommends pairing lobster guacamole with a perfectly grilled steak. You can’t go wrong with surf and turf.
Courtesy of Chef Jose Acevedo
Makes 8–10 servings
- 6 ripe Hass avocados, diced 1/2×1/2 "
- 2 cups Roma tomatoes, diced 1/4×1/4"
- 1 cup red onions, diced 1/4×1/4"
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 tblsp serrano peppers, chopped
- 3 tblsp kosher salt
- 6 oz lobster claw meat sliced
- 6 tblsp Nueske’s (http://www.nueskes.com/) bacon, chopped
- Mix the first 7 ingredients in a bowl with spoon. Do not over mix; there should be a slightly chunky texture. Garnish by adding lobster and bacon on top. Serve with tortilla chips or raw vegetable slices (carrots or celery).
- For guacamole with a twist, garnish with pomegranate seeds and queso fresco.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!