Greek-Style Fried Chicken
Each time I have friends over and I make this dish, they can’t help but pick up the chicken pieces and then lick their fingers to ensure they have not missed a drop of juice, says Maria Benardis of Greekalicious. There is a Greek saying that women and chicken must be handled gently with one’s hands, and I agree you cannot enjoy chicken unless you actually eat it using your hands to some extent — it is not only a fun way to enjoy the wonderful aromas and flavors that come out of the flesh, bones, and juices, but it’s also a great way to get people to relax, says Benardis. Benardis likes to accompany this dish with cumin, garlic, and Greek yoghurt sauce. Simply place on the side of the dish or drizzle a little on the chicken pieces.
- 1 whole chicken (around 5 pounds)
- 2 tbsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tbsp ground cloves
- Sea salt and cracked pepper, to taste
- 6 small red potatoes
- 12 tbsp olive oil
- 12 Kalamata olives
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 4 sprigs thyme
- 4 small red onions, peeled and halved
- 6 garlic cloves
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Clean chicken well and cut off any excess fat. Leave skin on. Pat dry. Cut the chicken into pieces.
- In a small bowl, combine 4 tablespoons olive oil, ground cinnamon, cumin, ground cloves, sea salt, and cracked pepper and mix well. Coat the chicken pieces with the mixture, place in a bowl, and refrigerate for at least 1–2 hours. Wash and clean the potatoes, but do not remove the skin.
- Place 4 tablespoons olive oil in a frying pan or skillet and heat. Add the potatoes, garlic, olives, and rosemary and season with salt and pepper. Cook until the potatoes turn golden brown.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in another skillet or frying pan. Add the chicken and onions and lightly brown on all sides on high heat. Reduce the heat to low and transfer the potatoes, garlic, rosemary, olives and any remaining olive oil to the pan. Arrange around or on top of the chicken. Add the cloves and cinnamon stick.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the chicken is tender. Shake the pan occasionally so that the chicken and other ingredients do not stick to the bottom. Turn chicken pieces over half way through the cooking process.
- Arrange pieces on a serving platter, pour over the juices and drizzle with a little cumin yoghurt sauce (optional).