Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 482; total fat: 28g; saturated fat: 6g; protein: 35g; carbohydrates: 29g; sugar: 4g; fiber: 10g; cholesterol: 88mg; sodium: 854mg
Recipe and photo by Tamara Andersen of Beyond Mere Sustenance.
Makes 4 servings
- For the grilled chicken:
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Several grinds of pepper
- 16 oz chicken breast, trimmed of fat
- For the creamy avocado dressing:
- 1 avocado, skin and pit removed
- 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp white wine vinegar
- 1 shallot, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- For the salad:
- 1 cup croutons (I love making homemade from 1 ciabatta roll)
- 4 slices bacon, fried crisp, and crumbled
- 6 cups leafy greens (like kale, spinach, red leaf lettuce)
- 4 oz. tiny tomatoes, halved lengthwise
- 1 avocado, cubed
- Grilled chicken (recipe above), cubed
How to make it
Combine rub ingredients for grilled chicken. Rub spice mix into the chicken breast.
Grill chicken (be careful not to overcook). When cool, cube and set aside.
Preheat oven to 400°, or 375° for a convection bake.
Cube bread. Toss with a drizzle of olive oil. Spread on a baking sheet, a single layer. Bake until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Set aside.
To make the dressing, combine all ingredients in blender. Pulse until smooth. Check for seasoning and consistency. If the mixture is too thick, add additional buttermilk. Dressing should be thick and creamy, not runny. Set aside.
To a large salad bowl, add greens. Toss with a conservative amount of dressing. Add crumbled bacon, tomatoes, cubed avocado, cubed grilled chicken, and croutons. Serve remaining dressing on the side.