Mexican-inspired food has a bad reputation for being unhealthy, but that doesn’t have to be the case. When you’re in control of the ingredients you can make virtually anything healthy. In this tostada recipe, lots of veggies and a homemade fajita seasoning add delicious flavors without the unnecessary calories and fat.
Nutrition (per 2 tostadas)
Calories: 441; Total Fat: 22 grams; Saturated Fat: 4 grams; Protein: 37 grams; Carbohydrates: 25 grams; Sugars: 4 grams; Fiber: 4 grams; Cholesterol: 110 milligrams; Sodium: 925 milligrams
Recipe and photo courtesy Amee Livingston, founder of Amee’s Savory Dish.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 6 servings
- 2 yellow bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 red bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 orange or green bell peppers, seeded and sliced into strips
- 2 large onions (I prefer sweet onions), sliced
- 5 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Homemade fajita seasoning, divided (see recipe below)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 lbs fresh organic chicken tenders
- 8 corn tostadas
- Garnish: sour cream, your favorite salsa, and sliced fresh avocado
- For the fajita seasoning:
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp sugar
- 2 chicken boullion cubes, crushed
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp cumin
How to make it
For the fajita seasoning: Whisk all ingredients together and divide in half for the recipe.
Heat grill and set to medium-high temperature.
Chop your peppers and onion and set aside in a bowl. Add 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice and half of the fajita seasoning to veggie mixture.
In a separate bowl, mix together chicken, 2 tablespoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon lime juice and remaining fajita seasoning. Toss well to coat.
Grill mixture separately in a grill pan. Chicken takes about 4-5 minutes per side and pepper mixture takes a few minutes longer. Grill until peppers and onions are softened, stirring a few times while cooking.
To serve, top a corn tostada with peppers and onions, chicken, sour cream, salsa and fresh avocado.