Maybe you’ve long been a fan of jackfruit tacos when hosting vegetarian dinner guests. Maybe you’ve seen cans of the stuff in Trader Joe’s aisles and contemplated adding one or two to your haul. Maybe you’ve never even heard of it. A trending substitute for meat, this staple shreds much like pulled pork, thanks to its chewy texture.
Serving as a blank canvas, chefs doctor it up with spices (cayenne, paprika, and mustard seeds are a good place to start) or sauce—or in the case of Chef Thomas Boemer, of the award-winning Corner Table and Revival in Minneapolis, a three time James Beard nominee for “Best Chef of Midwest”—both. Fire up the grill, and get ready to add the hearty jak into your dinner rotation.
Chef Thomas Boemer’s Grilled Jackfruit Sandwich
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 4 to 6 sandwiches servings
15 minutes min.
30 minutes min.
- 6 sandwich rolls
- 4 20 oz canned jackfruit chunks
- 2 tbsp vegetable, canola, or olive oil
- For rub: 1 cup of brown sugar, 1/2 cup salt, 1 tbsp chili powder, 1 tbsp paprika, 1/2 tsp allspice, 1/2 tsp garlic powder, 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dried thyme, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground clove, 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, save 2 tbsp of the rub for the sauce.
- For sauce: 1/2 cup sweet potato purée, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar, 2 tbsp rub
- Optional: Pickles, kimchi or your favorite slaw for toppings
How to make it