There’s nothing like throwing some fresh vegetables and juicy, marinated steak on the grill—especially on a crisp, picture-perfect day. So the next time Sunday football rolls around, ditch the pizza delivery and win the parking lot grillmaster championships with this protein-packed shish kebab recipe.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Char-Broil.
Makes 8 servings
- For the marinade:
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus additional for basting
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire
- 3 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1-2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- Fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- For the kebabs:
- 2 lbs tri-tip, trimmed and cubed
- 1-2 red onions, chopped
- 2 large bell peppers, chopped
- Several white button mushrooms, rinsed and stems removed
- 4 cobs of corn, each chopped into 6 rounds
- Kosher salt and fresh ground peppercorn, to taste
- Fresh parsley and green onion, chopped, to garnish
- 6-8 12-18" bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 min. before grilling
How to make it
Whisk together all marinade ingredients and bring to a simmer in pan until sugar dissolved. Let the sauce cool entirely.
Place steaks in a ziplock bag and pour marinade over the steaks. Press all air from the ziplock bag and refrigerate from 4 hours up to overnight.
Remove marinated beef from refrigerator, discard the marinade and preheat grill to medium-high heat at least 20 minutes prior to cooking.
Load individual skewers with marinated steak and prepared vegetables.
Lace skewers over the hottest grill grates, searing the kabobs with grill lid open, turning the skewers a quarter turn every 2-3 minutes, until internal temperature of the steak reaches 140 degrees Farenheit.
Remove skewers from grill and place under tin foil tent for 5 minutes.
To plate, garnish with chopped parsley and green onion. Season additionally to taste. Serve.