Can’t make it to the shore this summer? You can still get an authentic taste of seaside fun by hosting your own clambake, one of New England’s most popular traditions. To help you pull together a meal that will go down as one of the season’s best, Food Network Star chef Michele Ragussis showed us how to do a twist on the classic: a beer-infused bake using Sam Adams Summer Ale.
Beer often accompanies a summertime feast, cutting through the tang of barbecue sauce or the creaminess of potato salad, but this ale holds its own as the meal’s inspiration. Juices from the lobsters, clams, meats, and vegetables are married with the brew’s own blend of African pepper, Grains of Paradise, and citrus for an exotic twist on the beachside classic. Best of all, this dish is easy to make and an incredibly tasty reason to celebrate the summer—no matter where in the country you live.
Samuel Adams Summer Ale Urban Clambake
- 3 yellow onions
- 6 ears of corn
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 bottles of Samuel Adams Summer Ale
- 12 small potatoes
- Rockweed seaweed (optional)
- 1 lb Portuguese sausage (or chorizo)
- 1 lb hot dogs
- 5 lbs steamers
- 4 lobsters (1 lb each)
- 2 lemons
NOTE: Ask your fishmonger for purged steamers as they have been cleaned already. You can also ask for seaweed to add as a layer after the potatoes (optional).
- Before beginning, make sure all clams are scrubbed clean.
- On the stove top, in a big pot, layer quartered onions, corn, garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, 2½ bottles of Samuel Adams Summer Ale, potatoes, and (optional) seaweed.
- Cut Portuguese sausage into 1-inch-thick pieces, and cut hot dogs in half, lengthwise.
- Add the meat and cleaned clams to the pot. Add lobsters, and cover tightly. Let cook for 15–20 minutes until done.
- Layer on a platter, and save the remaining liquid for dipping. Serve with lemon wedges, and pair with a Samuel Adams Summer Ale.
Feeling a little too lazy to DIY your own clambake? Skip most of the legwork and purchase the Samuel Adams Summer Ale Urban Clambake Package to receive the seafood, Robinson’s Prime Reserve artisanal meat, and two pint glasses for $229.00.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!