If you typically go for bun-less burgers, but are sick of the same-old, same-old lettuce wraps, try this twist from legendary chef Wolfgang Puck before you retire your grilling game for winter. He serves these well-seasoned Chicken and Portobello Mushroom Burgers open-faced on grilled portobello mushroom caps—pure genius.
That’s because Puck gets it. The chef works out with a trainer regularly, and he’s focused on maintaining a healthy diet for his kids. In fact, that’s part of the reason he launched a free new app called Live, Love, Eat!, which is loaded with tons of healthful, seasonal recipes just like this one. If the burgers are a hit…we suggest you check it out.
- 1 1/2 lbs ground chicken (mix of light and dark meat, coarsely ground)
- Roasted garlic
- Chopped Italian parsley
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large Portobello mushrooms of similar size, stems removed
- Sliced provolone cheese
- 2 firm but ripe medium-sized tomatoes (to yield 4 good slices)
- Good-quality dill pickle chips (as used for burgers)
1. Preheat outdoor grill.
2. In mixing bowl, combine ground chicken with roasted garlic, parsley, a little olive oil, and salt and pepper. Form chicken mixture into 4 burger patties about a 1/2 inch thick.
3. Brush burger patties and mushroom caps on both sides with olive oil. Season mushroom caps with salt and pepper. Grill chicken burgers and mushroom caps until chicken is cooked through and mushrooms are golden.
4. While chicken cooks on second side, top with cheese slices to melt.
5. Place half of mushrooms rounded side down and nestle burger patties in them, cheese up. Top with remaining mushrooms, rounded sides up. Top each burger with a tomato slice and pickle chip stacked and secure with sandwich pick.
Fit Factor: Ground chicken (even with some dark meat added in for moisture) is incredibly lean, plus your portabello “bun” has about half the calories of your typical hamburger roll—making this an excellent dinner choice for men looking to build muscle and cut fat.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!