2 each domestic lamb loin
1 C Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 C taggiasca olive, pitted (if n/a substitue another oil cured black olive)
1/2 c cerignola olive, pitted (if n/a substitue another brine cured green olive)
12 each chipollini onions, roasted whole in the skin, cooled and peeled
1/4 c white raisins, simmered in 1/2 c orange juice until raisins plump
1/2 c fava beans, shucked, blanched, peeled
2 stalks rosemary washed, leaves picked (save stems)
1/4 bunch mint, washed, leaves picked (save stems)
1/4 bunch flat leaf parsley, washed, leaves picked (save stems)
1/4 bunch basil washed, leaves picked (save stems)
2 cloves garlic,1 rough chopped, 1 split in half
1 each lemon, skin peeled with a vegetable peeler (save skin) juice the lemon
1 c bulgur wheat
1 1/2 c boiling salted water
1. Fill a 4qt. pot 3/4 full of water and bring to a simmer, reduce heat to medium, steam should still be rising from the water with no visible movement roughly 180 degrees.
2. Season the lamb loins liberally with salt and black pepper, place each loin in a separate heavy duty freezer bag, add 2 tablespoons of olive oil, half a garlic clove, half of the herb stems, and 2 pieces of lemon skin to each bag, rolling from bottom to top, roll the air from the bags and seal, reserve.
3. Place the bulgur wheat in a bowl, pour the 1 1/2 c of boiling water over the wheat and cover with cling film, set aside and allow to steam until wheat is tender, roughly 40 minutes.
4. Place the cerignola, green olives, basil, 1/2 the parsley leaves, 1/2 the mint leaves, rosemary, chopped garlic clove, 1/2 the lemon juice, 1/2 c olive oil , salt and pepper to taste in the bowl of a food processor with the blade attachment and pulse until well blended but not smooth.
5. Place the bags with the lamb in the 4 qt pot of water, ‘poach’ the lamb in the bags until medium rare 12 to 15 minutes, preheat a nonstick saute pan over medium high heat, remove lamb from bag and sear on all sides in the pan, remove the lamb from the pan and allow to rest 3 minutes before slicing.
6. Rough chop the remaining parsley and mint.
7. Fluff the steamed wheat with a fork and add the chopped parsley and mint, 1 teaspoon lemon juice, 1 tablespoon olive oil and black pepper, mix well reserve warm.
8. Reheat the roasted onions, fava beans, taggiasca, black olives and white raisins with a tablespoon of olive oil and the orange juice leftover from plumping the raisins.
9. Divide the wheat salad evenly among 4 plates, slice each lamb loin into 8 equal pieces, place 4 slices on top of the wheat, spoon the green olive ‘gremolata’ onto the plate and top the lamb with the reheated onion, olive mixture.
Notes: The ‘gremolata’ can be made up to 3 days in advance, alternately add diced cucumber and diced tomato to the wheat salad and serve separately as a side dish.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!