“I like to snack while watching TV with my girlfriend. What can I make that’s healthy and also tastes good?” –Ben T., Indianapolis, IN
If your girlfriend is anything like me, she loves a little couch time, complete with snacking and even a cold brewski. Why? Because it enables us to cuddle up in your arms and forget about being a bridesmaid for the sixth time this weekend. Treat her to something unexpected, delicious, and healthy: smoked almonds.
Almonds are an excellent source of protein, good fat, and fiber, and roasting this snack is a simple toss, coat, and roast. Pair the almonds up with a cold glass of hefeweizen garnished with an orange slice. Women love being served by a man, trust me–and it’s a killer way to score points while chilln’ on the couch. Easy.
- 4 1/2 cups raw almonds
- 1 1/2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp + 1 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
1. On two sheet trays lined with foil, add almonds and roast at 350 degrees for approximately 8 minutes. Remove from oven and lower temperature to 300 degrees.
2. In a large mixing bowl, add melted coconut oil, soy sauce, dried oregano, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, and almonds. Mix to coat evenly.
3. Divide coated almonds among sheet trays. Place in oven and roast for approximately 12 minutes, stirring and swapping racks after 6 minutes.
4. Remove from oven and season with remaining paprika, garlic powder, and sea salt. Toss to coat. Serve paired with a cold hefewelzen or witbier, like Blue Moon, and garnish with an orange slice.
Model-turned-chef Candice Kumai is the author of Cook Yourself Sexy and Pretty Delicious, a Top Chef alumnus, and a regular judge on Iron Chef America. E-mail her your questions at email@example.com