8. Sweet and Sour Tofu
Tofu is easy to cook and takes on the flavor of whatever it’s mixed with. In this recipe, small cubes of tofu are marinated in a homemade sweet and sour sauce, then cooked in a skillet with a variety of delicious vegetables. This is a simple, nutrient-packed weeknight dinner.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to finish: 50 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 35 minutes
For the sweet and sour sauce:
2 tablespoons soy sauce
4 tablespoons rice wine (or water for a non-alcoholic dish)
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
4 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons water
For the tofu and vegetables:
1/2 head small broccoli, cut into bite-size florets
3 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pack tofu (385 grams), cut into squares
1/2 small onion, sliced
4-6 shiitake mushroom, sliced
2-3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon minced ginger
- Mix all the ingredients for sweet and sour sauce in a bowl, set aside.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add broccoli and boil until cooked through. Drain well and place in a bowl.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a non-stick skillet at medium-high heat. When oil is warm, carefully place tofu into a skillet. Grill the tofu until the bottom side turns golden brown, about 5 minutes. Flip tofu with a spatula and grill the other side to the same doneness. Transfer tofu to a plate and set aside.
- Add a tablespoon of oil into the same skillet and heat on medium-high heat. Add onion and stir several times. Add mushroom and stir-fry till onion turns golden and mushrooms are fully cooked. Lightly season with salt and mix well. Transfer the cooked onion and mushrooms to a plate and set aside.
- In the same skillet, add the rest of the oil, garlic, and ginger. Cook at medium heat and stir until fragrant. Add the sweet and sour sauce and simmer until the sauce is getting thick, for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously. Add the cooked tofu and mix well with the sauce. Cook until the sauce has reduced to the desired thickness, then turn off heat.
- In a large bowl, add broccoli, onion, and mushroom. Pour the tofu and all the sauce on top. Serve with steamed rice or noodles.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories: 225; Total Fat: 14 grams; Saturated Fat: 3 grams; Protein: 10 grams: Carbohydrates: 14 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Sugar: 7 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 517 milligrams
Back to top