9. Chickpea Stew
One cup of chickpeas (or garbanzo beans) contains 286 calories, 11 grams fiber, and 12 grams of protein. It also contains over 50% of the daily recommended amount of vitamin B-6 and good amounts of iron, zinc, potassium, and magnesium. Serve with a crusty piece of whole-grain bread and a green salad for a well-balanced meal.
Skill level: Beginner
Start to finish: 40 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
1 yellow onion, peeled and chopped
2 ribs of celery, chopped
2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
1 (14oz) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1 (15oz) can chickpeas, rinsed
1 (4oz) can diced chilies
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon chili powder
2 cups vegetable stock
- Place the onion, carrots, and celery in a large pot and sauté over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Add water, 1-2 tablespoons at a time, to keep the veggies from sticking to the pan.
- Add the tomatoes, chickpeas, and chilies, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add cumin and chili powder, stir and cook for an additional minute before adding the stock.
- Reduce heat to medium and cook, covered, for 15-20 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories: 333; Total Fat: 3 grams; Saturated Fat: 0 grams; Protein: 13 grams: Carbohydrates: 63 grams; Fiber: 14 grams; Sugar: 21 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 1,099 milligramsBack to top