When an Iron Chef opens a world-famous steakhouse, you can expect dry-aged rib eye, bone marrow sitting on a short rib bed, and filet mignon topped with foie gras. When Marc Forgione opened American Cut in Tribeca, he decided to extend his cow expertise beyond the menu, creating what he calls the "Secret Burger."
The Secret Burger is not on the menu at American Cut, but if you're in the know (or if you follow American Cut on Twitter), you can catch the burger some nights starting at 5:00. What you'll encounter is a juicy house blend of prime brisket, short rib, and dry aged rib eye, grilled briefly and topped with Brooklyn Lager beer cheese and bourbon caramelized onions.
If you want to blow away your next round of dinner guests, give the Secret Burger a try at home. You won't regret having leftovers of Forgione's beer cheese to snack on for the next week.
Marc Forgione's American Cut Secret Burger
Ingredients for 1 burger
- 1 sesame seed hamburger bun (American Cut makes theirs in-house, but any good-quality bun would work), split and toasted
- 2 oz end cuts of brisket
- 2 oz end cuts of short rib
- 2 oz end cuts of dry-aged rib eye
- ¼ cup caramelized onions (cooked with 1 cup of bourbon)
- 2 tbsp beer cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Combine the brisket, short rib, and dry-aged rib eye into a 6-oz patty (1 inch thick); season with salt and pepper
- Grill patty until desired temperature (about 3–4 minutes on each side for medium rare)
- Place burger on bottom of bun
- Add beer cheese atop burger patty
- Top with caramelized onion
- Serve with top of bun on the side
- 1/2 tsp sodium citrate
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fontina cheese
- 1 beer of your choice (American Cut uses Brooklyn Lager)
- Bring sodium citrate and beer to a boil together
- Whisk in the cheddar and fontina cheese (When finished, the consistency should be thick like mayonnaise)
** Tip: It is best to make the cheese ahead of time and store it in the fridge. When ready to serve, place a flat disk of cheese on top of the burger and melt it on top.