“An Old Fashioned is typically whiskey, ice, bitters, and a little bit of sugar,” Mercer says. “I’ve taken the bitters and sugar elements and put them in an ice sphere. As the whiskey makes its way down and percolates, it’s going to melt that ice and change the flavor of your cocktail.”
Here’s how to make it on your own.
- 3oz pecan- and cinnamon-infused whiskey*
- 8-spice ice sphere
For the Pecan- and Cinnamon-Infused Whiskey (makes 1L)
- 1L bourbon
- 8 sticks cinnamon
- 1/2 cup crushed pecans
For the 8-Spice Syrup
- 1 cup ginger juice
- 4 sticks cinnamon
- Barspoon of Roobios tea
- Tbsp. pink peppercorn
- 1 L simple syrup
- 1 cup Chinese five spice
For the Ice Sphere
- 2 liters 8-spice syrup
- 4 liters water
How to Make Original Sin, a Pecan- and Cinnamon-Infused Old Fashioned
- For the Pecan- and Cinnamon-Infused Whiskey: Mix bourbon with cinnamon and crushed pecans. Let infuse for 48 hours. Strain and refrigerate.
- For the 8-Spice Syrup: Bring ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, then let cool and strain.
- For the Ice Sphere: Mix syrup with 4 liters of water. Put in ice molds and freeze.
- Pour infused whiskey over ice. Stir, then pour over the ice sphere.