We dropped by the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas to get some insider tips on making a jazzed-up cocktail.
Here, Mariena Mercer, chef mixologist at the Chandelier Bar, demonstrates how to make one of their signature libations: Video Killed the Radio Star. It’s made with cachaça, a spirit made from fermented sugar cane juice thats akin to rum, as well as a bergamot and passionfruit liquers. It’s the perfect drink for summer.
- 1oz Avuá Prata Cachaça (similar to a rum; native to Brazil)
- 1/2oz Italicus Bergamot Liquer
- 1/2oz Giffard Passionfruit Liquer
- 1oz lemon juice
- 3/4oz apricot puree
- ½ oz black pepper honey syrup
For the Black Pepper Honey Syrup (makes a batch)
- 2 cups honey
- 2 cups water
- 1Tbsp Black Peppercorns
- ½ cup crushed green cardamom pods
For the Spiced Coconut Foam
- 2 cups black pepper honey syrup
- 1 cup half & half
- 1 cup Coco Lopez Coconut Cream
- 2 cups pasteurized egg whites
For the Black Pepper Honey Syrup: Bring ingredients to a boil. Simmer for 20 minutes, then let cool and strain.
For the Spiced Coconut Foam: Mix all ingredients together, then load into iSi container and double charge with N20. Refrigerate.
To make the Video Killed the Radio Star cocktail: Add all ingredients together in a shaker with ice. Shake vigorously for 20 seconds. Top with spiced coconut foam. Garnish with edible paper, if desired.