When the king of flat-packed furniture announced launched a vegan take on their trademark Swedish meatball, we knew it would be a hit. The GRÖNSAKSBULLAR, a veggie ball made from chickpeas, green peas, kale, corn, carrots, and red bell peppers.
“The veggie ball is meant to cater to a wider audience and offer more choice,” Michael La Cour, managing director of IKEA’s food business, told the Wall Street Journal. They will be healthier (60 fewer calories and half the fat, according to Huffington Post), they will have a drastically smaller carbon footprint (1/30th that of the beef-and-pork version), and — the company hopes — they will usher in a golden age of eco-friendly IKEA cuisine.
That being said, vegan meatballs are super easy to make and an good go-to meal or side dish to have on standby at home. So, how can you recreate your own IKEA vegan meatball at home and not deal with the crowds? Try your hand at the recipe below.
Easy to make vegan meatballs
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ cup corn
- ½ cup chopped red bell peppers
- 1 cup packed kale
- ½ cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, rinsed, drained and divided
- 2 teaspoons dried organic basil
- 2 teaspoons dried organic oregano
- 1 cup frozen organic brown rice, thawed
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
- Add onion and garlic and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in peppers, corn, and kale. Cover and cook until peppers are tender and the kale wilts, about 5 minutes.
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse sunflower seeds until coarsely ground. Add cooked vegetable mixture, half the beans, basil and oregano. Pulse until mixture is just coming together.
- In a large bowl, combine puréed mixture, remaining beans and rice. Stir until combined.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Form mixture into 1 ½-inch balls and transfer to a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- Bake meatballs 30 minutes or until heated through and crisp on the outside.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!