You will no doubt have more than a few memories to look back on as you watch summer slowly wind down in the next few weeks, the places you visited, bodies of water you swam in, beers you drank, and maybe most importantly, all the things you ate. You grill more in the summer, you smoke more meats in the warmer months, and you do it all because this is the time of year when you can be a glutton and then go run it off under the hot sun.
Eventually, however, you hit the burger and hot dog ceiling. You want something else, something that is emblematic of the season, all messy and full of flavor, but something that takes a little more work than just tossing a patty on the grill, taking it off, then putting some topping on it.
Leave it to a great beach resort on Long Island to come up with the perfect sandwich that combines June-August comfort food with a special twist. Chef Jason Kallert at The Beach Club at Gurney’s Montauk Resort & Seawater Spa has the perfect summer sandwich that combines the smokey and tangy taste of a bbq short rib with a little fresh crunch provided by pickled cucumbers, and just enough bite from the charred jalapeños that play along nicely with the sweetness of the sauce.
The Gurnsey Montauk Charcoal Smoked Short Rib Sandwich, Fresh Pickled Cucumbers, Charred Jalapeño BBQ Sauce from Chef Jason Kallert of LDV Hospitality
For the Short Rib
- 1 long bone short rib (approx. 3 lbs)
- 10 lbs charcoal
- 1 bag hickory wood chips
- sea salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Get your charcoal hot in a smoker or grill, on one side of the grill, and soak the wood chips in cold water.
- Cover the short rib in sea salt and fresh ground black pepper. Place the short rib on the side of the grill where the charcoal is NOT (indirect heat). If you have a thermometer, the grill, with the lid closed, should stay around 220 degrees the entire cooking time. Sprinkle a handful of wet wood chips over the hot coals about once every 30 mins, cooking the beef for 4 hours. This will also keep the smoker/grill from getting too hot, but be sure not to extinguish the coals.
For the Pickled Cucumbers
- 1 English cucumber, sliced into thin rounds
- 4 shallots, peeled and sliced thin
- 2 cups rice wine vinegar
- 2 cups Mirin
- Bring the Mirin and rice wine vinegar to a boil and pour into a bowl.
- Place the cucumber and shallot slices into the hot liquid and leave at room temperature, uncovered, until cool.
- This may be stored in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
For the BBQ Sauce
- 1 cup store bought BBQ sauce
- 2 jalapeños
- 1 tbsp. Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 ozs. Mirin
- Char the jalapeños over the hot coals until all black, then puree in a blender with a little olive oil until smooth.
- In a bowl, whisk together the bbq sauce, honey, and Mirin, slowly adding the jalapeño puree until desired spiciness.
To build the Sandwich;
- The short rib should be falling off the bone and very tender when done cooking.
- Slice the meat by hand, thin, against the grain.
- Spread a Martin’s Potato Roll on both sides with the BBQ sauce.
- Place 6 oz. of Beef on the bread, then top with the pickled cucumbers and shallots.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!