Looking for a simple weeknight meal that won’t keep you in the kitchen for hours? Turn to your Instant Pot to make an easy, healthy soup in 30 minutes. This barley soup recipe calls upon the flavors of mirepoix—the classic French trifecta of onions, carrots, and celery.
Pair it with a sandwich or salad for a filling, well-balanced meal. You can also make this soup over the stove or in a crockpot.
Recipe by Sharon Palmer, RDN, The Plant-Powered Dietitian, SharonPalmer.com.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Nutritional information (per serving)
- 52 calories
- 2 grams protein
- 11 grams carbs
- 2 grams sugar
Makes 10 servings
15 minutes min.
30 minutes min.
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small trimmed leek (7 ounces, 1 cup), well-rinsed and sliced
- 3 small carrots (6 ounces total, 1 ½ cups), sliced
- 3 stalks celery with leaves (6 ounces total, 2 cups), sliced
- 8 ounces mushrooms (3 cups), sliced
- 7 cups water
- 2 cubes vegetable bouillon
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup dried pearled barley
How to make it