For some, the Kentucky Derby is more about getting dressed up in a seersucker suit and drinking than it is watching the horses run around for a few minutes. And that's fine, the Thoroughbreds only run the length of one and a quarter miles, so you have to fill the rest of the afternoon doing something else.
But honestly, don't you get a little sick of drinking the same old mint julep, one after another? Maybe this year you can take over the bar for a few minutes and make either of these two juleps that don't totally deviate from the traditional kind, but are different enough that people will definitely notice the difference.
Hobo Julep from Del Pedro of Tooker Alley
- 1 large mint sprig (10-12 leaves)
- 3 oz Wild Turkey 101 Bourbon
- ½ oz Petite Canne Cane Syrup
- 1 dash Fees Mint Bitters (plus 1/4 tsp for topping crushed ice)
- Club soda
- Cracked ice
- Crushed ice
- Muddle mint with bourbon, cane syrup, and dash of bitters.
- Strain into glass add 1 oz of cold club soda; stir a few times.
- Fill glass with cracked ice almost to the top. "Snow Cone" the drink top of the drink with crushed ice.
- Lace ¼ tsp of mint bitters over top of crushed ice, and garnish with a mint sprig or two.
Glass: 12 oz Highball Glass (or a pewter mug, if you wish)
Garnish: Mint sprig(s)/2 long sip straws
G.H. Mumm Champagne Mint Julep
- 2 oz. GH Mumm Cordon Rouge
- 1 ½ oz. Absolut Citron Vodka
- 1 oz. Fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ oz. simple syrup
- 1 finger pinch fresh mint
- Pour all ingredients except GH Mumm Cordon Rouge into a mixing glass.
- Add ice, cover and shake vigorously for 7-8 seconds.
- Pour GH Mumm Cordon Rouge into a chilled cocktail-martini glass and pour the cocktail over it.