4. Recipe: Stove Top Sriracha Lime Popcorn
Did you know popcorn is a whole grain? Put this bowl of goodness in front of your guests and they’ll be munching on a healthy dose of fiber without even realizing it’s good for them!
Skill level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 10 minutes
Prep: 5 minutes
Cook: 5 minutes
3 tablespoons organic coconut oil, divided (I like Pure Formula)
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 to 1½ teaspoons sriracha (you can also use Tabasco sauce)
¼ teaspoon kosher salt
1. In a Dutch oven or large, heavy pot with a lid, melt 2 tablespoons of the coconut oil over medium-high heat. Put a few popcorn kernels into the oil and put on the lid. Once the first kernel pops, the oil is ready.
2. Add the remaining popcorn to the pot, put on the lid, hang onto both sides of the pot (with potholders!) and give it a vigorous shake to distribute the popcorn. Continue to cook the popcorn, shaking the pot every 30 seconds or so, until the popping diminishes and the popcorn is done.
3. While the popcorn is cooking, stir the remaining tablespoon of coconut oil and the sriracha together in a small bowl until blended. Microwave on high until melted, about 15 seconds.
4. When the popcorn is popped, transfer to a large bowl.
5. Zest the lime over the popcorn, sprinkle on the salt, drizzle with the melted coconut oil/sriracha and use your hands to toss the popcorn until it is evenly coated.
Nutrition Information (per 1 cup)
Calories: 133; Total Fat: 11 grams; Saturated Fat: 9 grams; Protein: 1 gram: Carbohydrates: 9 grams; Fiber: 2 grams; Cholesterol: 0 milligrams; Sodium: 156 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Katie Sullivan Morford, MS, RD of Mom’s Kitchen Handbook.Back to top