Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Chickpea Patties
Whip up a double batch of these delicious patties, and freeze half for later. Snack on one patty atop a bed of greens or munch on two as a snack. Top with sriracha, salsa, or baba ganoush.
Skill Level: Beginner
Start to Finish: 35 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 20 minutes
1 pound eggplant
1 ½ to 2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup chickpeas, soaked overnight
1/2 medium onion, grated (1/4 cup)
2 to 3 large garlic cloves, grated
1 teaspoon Persian spice mix (Advieh) or any mixed spice
1 to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper flakes, adjust per taste
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 ½ tablespoons chopped cilantro
1 ½ tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon salt, adjust per taste
1 medium egg
Seeds: 2 tablespoons quinoa plus 1 teaspoon each of – sesame seeds, black seeds, hemp seeds, chia seeds
1 tablespoon peanut oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 ºF
2. Bring 3 cups of water to a boil in a small cooking pot. Add chickpeas and let it simmer until well cooked. Drain and let cool.
3. Wash the eggplant and wipe it dry. Cut it into 3/4 inch slices. Brush the eggplant slices lightly but evenly with about 1 ½ to 2 tablespoons olive oil.
4. Place the slices on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or oiled aluminum foil. Bake until fork tender for about 20 – 25 minutes (time may vary with oven). Check at 20 minutes and adjust time accordingly.
5. Set aside the baked eggplant slices and let cool to room temperature. Chop the eggplant slices finely. Grind the cooked chickpeas into a nearly smooth mixture.
6. Mix the chopped eggplant, ground chickpeas, grated onions, grated garlic, spices, herbs, and salt.
7. Using a 1/4 cup measure, scoop out the mixture and form 10 round thick patties.
8. Whisk the eggs. Mix the seeds and spread it out on a plate.
9. Dip the patties in whisked egg and coat with seeds on both sides and lightly press.
10. Heat a 10 inch iron skillet at medium setting. Coat skillet with 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil.
11. Place 5 patties in the skillet, dipping one at a time in the oil coating and flipping immediately. Cook 3 minutes on each side until golden brown.
12. Set the oven temperature to 350 ºF. Transfer the patties to a parchment or foil lined baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes until done.
13. Repeat the cooking steps with the remaining 5 patties using another 1/2 tablespoon peanut oil. Serve these Quinoa Crusted Eggplant Chickpea Patties hot.
Nutrition Information (per 1 patty)
Calories: 99; Total Fat: 5 grams; Saturated Fat: 1 gram; Protein: 3 grams: Carbohydrates: 11 grams; Sugar: 3 grams; Fiber: 3 grams; Cholesterol: 14 milligrams; Sodium: 126 milligrams
Recipe and photo by Roxana Begum, PhD, RD of The Delicious Crescent.Back to top