This delicious salad uses canned black beans to give you a boost of protein. If you’d like to up your intake even further, you can also add shredded chicken, canned tuna, or salmon.
Nutrition (per serving)
Calories: 205; total fat: 11g; protein: 6g; carbohydrates: 26g
Recipe and photo by Lisa Lotts of Garlic+Zest.
Makes 4 servings
- For the salad:
- 1 red, yellow, or orange bell pepper, chopped
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup diced cucumber (preferably the hothouse variety)
- 1 ear fresh corn, kernels cut off the cob
- 1 jalapeño, minced (depending on how much spice you like)
- 1 (15-oz) can low-sodium black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro
- For the cumin-lime dressing:
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- Zest of one lime
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
How to make it
In a large, non-reactive bowl combine the bell pepper, red onion, zucchini, cucumber, corn, black beans, jalapeño, and cilantro. Toss to combine.
In a small bowl, combine the garlic, lime zest, Dijon mustard, cumin, lime juice, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
Whisk until emulsified.
Pour dressing over the salad, and toss to combine.
Serve chilled or at room temperature.