Who said Mexican food was only for cheat day? Think of this salad as a light taco bowl without the rice.
By choosing foods that are high in fiber (like beans and kale) plus plenty of healthy fats (as in the avocado), you can make this meal macro-friendly and get enough protein to keep you fueled throughout the day. (And for an even healthier option, skip the dressing.)
Nutrition Information (per serving)
574 calories, 57g protein, 50g carbs, 20g fat, 12g fiber
Makes 2 servings
- 1 Tbsp salt-free Mexican or southwest seasoning, or to taste
- 6 oz 96% lean ground beef
- 3 cups kale leaves, finely slivered
- 1/4 cup canned no-salt-added black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbsp fresh or no-salt-added canned corn, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 green bell pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 small avocado (optional)
- 1/3 cup fresh pico de gallo, or salsa, drained
- 2 Tbsp reduced-fat southwest or ranch salad dressing
- 1 oz low-fat cheddar cheese
- 6 baked tortilla chips, broken
How to make it
Mix seasoning with beef. Toss kale, beans, corn, bell pepper, and avocado in a bowl.
Place a frying pan over medium heat and “crumble” the beef into it. Cook until no longer pink, about 5 minutes.
Add pico de gallo and dressing to the veggie bowl and toss. Top with cheddar, chips, and beef. Serve immediately.