Sure, chili’s full of flavor, but the comfort food is also brimming with health-boosting, muscle-building nutrients that you don’t want to miss out on.
Beans, which give chili most of its bulk, are full of fiber, protein, and potassium and may help promote weight loss and fight cancer. Onions may reduce inflammation in your body and can help you steer clear of cancer, even if they do bring on some tears in the process. Garlic is another cancer-fighter, and can also reduce hypertension and plaque formation around your arteries. And swapping in ground turkey for ground beef cuts the calories and saturated fat in half.
So, you’ve got more than enough reasons to enjoy a bowl this fall. Don’t have a go-to chili recipe yet? Give our version a shot.
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 lbs ground turkey
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 15-oz can tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup corn flour
- 1 15-oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 15-oz can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- Chopped green onions, for serving
1. Heat 1 tsp of oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned, about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove turkey onto a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
2. Add 1 tsp of oil to pot over medium heat and add onion. Cook until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook until aromatic, about 1 minute.
3. Add turkey back to pot, and then add tomato sauce, chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and cayenne pepper.
4. Stir, bring to boil, cover pot, and reduce heat to low.
5. Simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If chili becomes dry, add a 1/2 cup water.
6. After an hour, place corn flour in a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup water and stir together with a fork.
7. Add corn flour mixture to the chili. Stir together well.
8. Add beans and simmer for 10 minutes.
9. Serve with chopped green onions (and optional: chopped cilantro and a dollop of low-fat Greek yogurt in place of sour cream).
Serves: 6 to 8
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!