Cauliflower might not be the most exciting cooking ingredient out there, but don’t shy away from the bland-looking vegetable just because its more vibrantly colored cousin—broccoli—is more eye-catching. Cauliflower is packed with vitamin C, potassium, and boron, a mineral that may aid in building muscle and increasing testosterone levels. Plus, it’s very low in calories, weighing in at less than 30 per cup.
While many chicken curry recipes call for white potatoes, this healthier version from The Paleo Slow Cooker: Healthy, Gluten-Free Meals the Easy Way by Arsy Vartanian gets its volume from cauliflower and fiber- and vitamin A-rich sweet potatoes. If you can’t decide whether you’re in the mood for something spicy or sweet, try this easy slow cooker recipe. It makes a filling dinner and can be packed up for lunch the next day.
CAULIFLOWER CHICKEN CURRY
- 2 lbs chicken breast, cubed
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1 pinch of ground cloves
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ¼ tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp ghee
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 cauliflower, cut into florets
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 green chile
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- Salt and pepper just before serving
- Combine the dry spices and toss with the chicken to coat it.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of ghee in a heavy-bottomed pan over medium heat, brown the chicken for about 5 minutes, and transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ghee and sauté the onions until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook another 3 minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes and then cauliflower to the slow cooker. Place the chicken on top.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Add slat and pepper to taste, then serve.
Get nutrition advice and recipes delivered right to your inbox by signing up for a monthly MF newsletter.