There are few things as beloved as a bacon, egg, and cheese. It cures your hangovers (or so you believe). It satisfies your hunger. It’s quite literally the perfect breakfast (or any meal of the day as far as we’re concerned) sandwich.
But, like most things. Your BEC can be better. It can be bolder in flavor and lower in calories (seriously). So, step up your game and try our healthy twist on the classic breakfast sandwich. Best of all: You won’t feel guilty after wolfing this down.
2 slices Canadian bacon
1/2 red or green bell pepper, sliced and seeded
1/4 cup no-salt-added, low-fat cottage cheese
1/4 cup spinach (raw or cooked)
1/2 7-inch whole-wheat pita
1/4 cup shredded reduced-fat cheese
Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
1 tbsp salsa
1. Cook bacon in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Set aside.
2. Place peppers in the skillet and sauté lightly.
3. While peppers cook, beat eggs in a small bowl with a fork.
4. Add eggs to a pan and scramble. When eggs are nearly cooked, add cottage cheese and continue cooking until done.
5. Layer bacon, egg mixture, and spinach inside pita pocket. Top with cheese, salt, pepper, and salsa to taste.
How’s it Compare?
Ours has 50 fewer calories and twice the protein and fiber of a McDonald’s breakfast sandwich. It also has 90 fewer calories, four times the fiber, and half the fat of a Burger King Double Croissan’Wich with Sausage, Bacon, and Cheese.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!