Indian Spiced Venison Stew
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 55 minutes
4 cups venison, cubed 1/4 cup flour
4 cups chicken broth
3 tablespoons coconut oil
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 medium onion, diced
2 cups sweet potato, peeled and diced (one large)
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 10.75 oz. can of tomato puree
2 teaspoons ground garam masala
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ground turmeric
1 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
1 teaspoons ground cardamom
1/2 cup heavy cream
1 15 oz. can of chick peas, drained
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
1. Toss the meat with flour, salt, and black pepper until each piece is evenly coated.
2. Add coconut oil to the bottom of dutch oven or large pot over medium high heat.
3. Work in batches and cook the meat 2-3 minutes on each side, stirring occasionally.
4. Continue on with the next batch of meat. Add more coconut oil if the pan is dry.
5. Remove the meat from the pot and transfer to a plate in order to cool.
6. Then include the onion, garlic, and grated ginger. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until onions are soft. Remember to add more oil if needed.
7. Stir in the tomato paste and cook for about 2 minutes, until it becomes thick and dark.
8. Add coriander, turmeric, cumin, cardamom, cayenne pepper, and garam masala.
9. Transfer the meat back into the pot.
10. Include the chicken broth, tomato puree, heavy cream, chick peas, and sweet potato.
11. Bring to boil, reduce heat.
12. Simmer on medium heat, partly covered, until liquid has thickened and venison easily falls apart –about two hours.
13. Serve, garnish with optional fresh herbs such as cilantro, and enjoy.