Whiskey and Peach Rabbit Stew
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 hours
Inspired by the book “The Pioneer Woman Cooks: food from my frontier”
4 tablespoons olive oil or butter
6 rabbits, quartered
Salt and pepper
1 medium onion, diced
1 ½ cups whiskey
2 cups barbecue sauce
2 chipotle peppers in Adobo, chopped
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
4 -6 cups fresh peach slices
2 cups water
1 bunch kale, collards or other leafy green, roughly chopped
2 TB peach preserves (optional)
1. Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed Dutch oven and brown the rabbit quarters for about 4 minutes on each side. Season each side with salt and pepper as you go. You will need to work in batches so as not to overcrowd the pan, so transfer the meat to a plate once it is well browned and add new meat.
2. Once the rabbit is all transferred to a plate, add the diced onion to the pot. Cook over medium heat, stirring until translucent.
3. Pour in the whiskey and reduce to about half. Add the barbecue sauce and chipotle pepper and stir.
4. Add the rabbit quarters to the pot, then the peaches. Cover with foil or a lid and place in the oven for at least 2.5 hours, or until the meat is tender and falling off the bone. In the last 10 minutes, add the greens and peach preserves and stir.
5. Serve with mashed potatoes or rice. It is delicious the next day for breakfast too!
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!Back to top