Nutrient-packed soup is the answer to painless meal prep.
Nutrition information (per serving):
Calories: 247; total fat: 5g; protein: 11g; carbs: 43g; sugar: 5g; fiber: 7g
Recipe and photo by Sharon Palmer, R.D.N., The Plant-Powered Dietitian, author of Plant-Powered for Life.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 8 servings
- 1 cup quinoa, uncooked (try red or multi-colored)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (red, green, yellow, or orange)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 Tbsp flour (may substitute corn starch to make this gluten-free)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups plain, unsweetened plant-based milk (i.e., soy or almond)
- 1 (16-oz) bag frozen sweet corn, thawed
- 1 (15-oz) can pinto beans, drained (may substitute black beans)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- Optional: pinch salt
How to make it
Heat a heavy pot, and toast quinoa for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
Add olive oil, onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté for 8 minutes.
Stir in flour, then add broth and plant-based milk, stirring well.
Add corn, beans, parsley, thyme, pepper, and salt (optional). Stir until well-combined.
Heat chowder, while stirring frequently, until bubbly, thickened, and quinoa is tender—about 10-15 minutes.