Chicken tortilla soup is a flavorful, belly-warming meal. It’s wonderful as is, but why not reimagine it with an Indian take?
Toss in some traditional spices—like Kashmiri chili and garam masala—and you’ve got a whole new take on this classic dish. One taste, served with a side of crispy naan, and you’ll swear off soup from a can—for good.
Recipe by Nik Sharma, abrowntable.com.
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 4 to 6 servings
- Seeds of 2 green cardamom pods
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup finely diced red onion
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 tsp ground Kashmiri chili
- 1⁄2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 (14.5 oz) can chopped tomatoes, with juices
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup raw sweet corn kernels, fresh or frozen
- 3 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 tsp fine sea salt
- 2 naans
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, peeled and halved lengthwise (optional)
- 3 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 tbsp thinly sliced scallion (white and green parts)
- 1 serrano chili, seeded and thinly sliced
How to make it