Delicious Mexican barbacoa-style beef on a weeknight? Yes, it’s possible with this simple recipe. Use it for tacos, bowls, burritos, salads, and more. Plus, it’s gluten-free, nut-free, and dairy-free, so you can satisfy the pickiest of eaters.
*Chef’s note: If using a beef roast, cut it into cubes, then proceed with the recipe. You may also need to increase cooking time by 5 to 15 minutes.
Recipe by Kaleigh McMordie, MCN, RDN, LD of Lively Table.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2-3 lb beef stew meat (you can also use a beef roast*)
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/2 small white onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1 tablespoon dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 2 bay leaves
How to make it