When you need something hearty to feed a crowd, lentil sloppy joes couldn’t be easier. They’re smoky, tender, and slightly spicy, with a hint of sweetness from tomatoes.
This recipe is quick to put together and sure to bring back memories of childhood dinners (albeit with a twist). Serve with roasted potatoes or a green salad.
If you want to skip the bread altogether, this mixture is great in lettuce cups or served over steamed rice.
Recipe from The Gluten-Free Instant Pot Cookbook by Jane Bonacci and Sara De Leeuw (Harvard Common Press, 2018).
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
Makes 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced small
- 1 green bell pepper, cored, seeded, and diced
- 2 cups brown or green lentils, rinsed
- 1 cup water or gluten-free vegetable stock
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can fire-roasted diced tomatoes (including juices)
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 to 3 tablespoons brown sugar (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce (Lea & Perrins brand is gluten-free)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 4 gluten-free hamburger buns, such as Udi’s, for serving
How to make it