When I’m camping, I want to relax at dinner, which is why I love this easy, bright salsa verde sauce with high-voltage flavor (it’s been passed down for generations in our family). It’s the perfect complement to nearly any entrée or side dish, especially skirt steak.
Note*: Some recipes suggest trimming the steak’s fat to prevent flare-ups when the fat drips onto the coals. Skirt steak isn’t very fatty, but still, leave any fat on for flavor and just be prepared for flare-ups.
Reprinted with permission from Feast by Firelight, text and illustrations copyright ©2018 by Emma Frisch. Published by Ten Speed Press, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Photographs copyright © 2018 by Christina Holmes.
Makes 4-6 servings
- 2 lbs skirt steak (see Note*)
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 20 turns of the pepper mill
- For the salsa verde:
- 1 large or 2 small garlic cloves, peeled
- One 2oz can anchovy fillets, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 Tbsp capers
- 1 tsp red wine vinegar or sherry vinegar
- 1⁄2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1⁄2 cup coarsely chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil, plus 1 Tbsp
How to make it