Most store-bought hot sauce is spicy and…that’s it.
In his Green Sriracha, Josiah Citrin of Charcoal in Venice, California, introduces a layer of umami through fermentation, creating a hot-and-tangy sauce that’ll become your new go-to for chili, tacos, and eggs.
Try this hot sauce recipe. We guarantee it’ll replace your bottled variations.
Degree of Difficulty: Moderate
Active Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 3 days
For access to exclusive gear videos, celebrity interviews, and more, subscribe on YouTube!
- 2 cups tomatillos, roughly chopped
- 1 cup poblano peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 cup jalapeño peppers, seeded and roughly chopped
- 8 garlic cloves
- ½ cup light brown sugar
- ¼ cup kosher salt
- 2¾ cups distilled white vinegar
- ¼ tsp xanthan gum
- 2 tbsp fresh cilantro leaves
How to make it