Recipe by Maggie Demock, RD of Meals with Maggie.
Makes 6 servings
- 1 tbsp light flavor cooking oil (olive, avocado, or canola oil works)
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 large sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1½ tbsp of chili powder
- 4 tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp of smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3½ cups water
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained
- 1 (15 oz) can fire-roasted tomatoes
- Juice of 1 lime
- Garnishes: sliced avocado, sour cream or greek yogurt, cilantro, or crushed tortilla chips
How to make it
Turn instant pot to Sauté setting and place garlic and diced onion in the pot. Once fragrant, add in sweet potatoes, spices, and salt, stirring to combine.
Pour water into pot and add quinoa. Mix so that the quinoa isn’t sitting on top of the water.
Close the lid, press the Manual button, and set the timer for 3 minutes. The Instant Pot will begin to build pressure. Make sure dial on top is turned to Sealing position.
When the timer runs out, move the dial to Venting position. Allow the pressure to fully release before opening the lid.
Once the lid is open, add in the remaining ingredients and stir.